Monday, February 1, 2010

Working for the Frills

I'm currently unemployed and all of my available funds are going to college. (Hurray for the economy!) My most recent splurge was only possible with the aid of Christmas and Birthday money. While I know I'm better off than a lot of people out there, but there are also a lot of people who are more well-off than I am. This past Christmas there was a discussion on the EGL livejournal community where people got to list what they received for gifts. I was floored by the amount of money some people's family spent on frills alone. There are genuine lolitas out there whose mommy and/or daddy buy them anything they want. And I can be jealous of these people until I'm green in the face.

But when you think about it, these are the people most likely to buy the most popular print. And then once its not popular anymore they buy the next big thing. They keep moving on from piece to piece, possibly selling their old ones.

And then there are the people like me. Like a lot of us lolitas out there. We work hard and save up for what we really like. Maybe a piece from a lesser-known indie-brand. Or an older piece that we've wanted forever that someone is selling second hand. Or a custom-made piece that only you have, and no one else. We can appreciate the clothes we buy. Love them.

I can't say that I have my first lolita garment, since I started out as an ita like the best of them. But I do still have one of my earliest jumperskirts. It is an original piece made just for me and I still get asked constantly what brand it is.

So you can be jealous of all those girls better off than you who get the whole world handed to them one day and throw it out the next. Or you can be proud of the frills you bought with your own hard work and love them like no other lolita could.

6 comments:

  1. I love those dresses that you've commissioned from people. They're all really pretty and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! I just bought my first pair of lolita shoes, from Bodyline, and I love them. They may not be Baby or Angelic Pretty, but I worked for that money, and I appreciate them so much. I like to make my own clothes too, and I always feel acomplished when I wear something that I made with my own hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hear Hear!

    I think by the end of it, I'll be entirely stocked by Etsy and Closet Child.

    Heres to the working class Lolitas. (New official sub genre?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A person that gets everything she wants will never understand the feelings of a person that worked hard to get the special thing she wanted.

    As for me - I don't have any Lolita clothing right now. One reason is, that I don't have a job right now and my family is poor. Another is that I am not allowed to use the internet for shopping (my mom fears that I will get scammed).
    So what to do? I make everything myself. My first JSK is in progress and even though it's not finished yet I love it to death :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with 10012020. Those who get everything they want don't understand the satisfaction people feel when they work hard to get something they really, really want.

    I am currently having to wear t-shirts and jeans, but I am taking the money I get from my University's work study program, and my second job at a small restaurant, and saving up until I can get my first lolita outfit! I am buying from FanplusFriend as well, because they can make garments custom (usually for a fee) for plus sized lolitas like myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sympathize, oh yes I do. I remember seeing that post and being like...WHAT REALLY!? I couldn't believe girl's parents were buying them three hundred dollar dresses. First of all, my parents do buy me anything anymore, lol, I'm a real adult XD Second..they would have never had the money. Must be nice to be rich right?

    I def appreciate what I have. Lolita clothes is just at the bottom of my list of things to spend my money on, no matter how much I'd like it to be at the top, heh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails